Sacramento City College

How can I determine if my current job qualifies me for this program?

You must be able to demonstrate that you can learn something new and different from your current position. 

My job is very simple routine job.  It's not related to my major.  Can I still get credit?

There is more to learn about your job and the organization you work for than you realize. If you have trouble identifying new objectives, see your Cooperative Work Experience Instructor/Coordinator. 

Do you need a job or volunteer position to register for Cooperative Work Experience?

Yes. If you do not have a job at the time you register in the Cooperative Work Experience, the Work Experience Instructor will assist you in obtaining a position. 

I'm currently volunteering without pay.  Can I get Cooperative Work Experience Credit?

Yes. If you work for a bonafide, non-profit organization and substantiate work, work hours, etc. 

I am self-employed.   Do I qualify for Cooperative Work Experience?
Yes. Discuss this with your Cooperative Work Experience Instructor/Coordinator. You will need someone who will be able to evaluate your work and verify your hours. 

What is required of my employer?

Your employer is asked to assist you in establishing new learning objectives related to your job, and verify your work hours. 

How will I benefit from participation in the Cooperative Work Experience Program?

A component of the program is a performance evaluation which includes objectives that can help you raise your standard of job performance. This puts you in a better position for:

Salary increases

Job satisfaction

More interesting job assignments


More challenging work

You are encouraged  to improve your performance in the specfic area where your employer feels you need improvement.

When you initiate goal-setting patterns on your job, you speed up progress on the job. This is an important concept to practice. When goal setting becomes a way of life, it can benefit your future life style.

 Evidence shows that a majority of Cooperative Work Experience students improve their grade point average.

How many units do I get for my work?

Each 75 hours completed on the job is equivalent to one (1) unit of credit. 

How do I register?

You register for Cooperative Work Experience just as you do for other courses. You may join the program during the first week of classes. 

Can I take Cooperative Work Experience and not attend the class and individual conferences?

No. The classes are mandatory and are an important component of the program. 

I have previously taken two semesters of Cooperative Work Experience. Can I take a third?

The program has a limit of 16 units and a typical student takes 3 to 4 units a semester. If you have have not exceeded the limit, you may continue in the program. 

How many units can I earn a semester?

Jobs that are related to your declared major are eligble for 1-4 units. Jobs that are not related are eligble for 1-3 units. 

How are internship and volunteer work tabulated?

Each 60 hours completed on the job is equivalent to one (1) unit. 

Will Cooperative Work Experience units assist me in meeting full-time academic status, such as financial aid, veterans assistance, etc.?


How does Work Experience units relate to graduation requirements?

Work Experience units are considered elective units in most majors. They are required courses in others. See your Work Experience Instructor for guidance. 

Are Cooperative Work Experience units transferable to California State University, Sacramento?

Work Experience 48 classes are transferable to CSUS (8 units). 

Will Cooperative Work Experience qualify under Veteran's educational benefits?

Yes. Veterans must be eligble for business or vocational programs to receive Veteran's educational benefits. The job must be related to the major.

Return to Work Experience Home Page Cooperative Work Experience
Sacramento City College
(916) 558-2383