The disability resource center at Sacramento city college is looking for volunteers!
Why be a volunteer?
Volunteers provide services that contribute to a student’s academic success and college experience.
Volunteers provide support services that offer students with disabilities the opportunity to participate fully in
all aspects of college programs and activities. Other benefits include:
- Free training
- Work experience
- Community service
- Add to your resume (we'll document your hours)
What kinds of opportunities are available?
- Notetaker: Attends class with student and provide neatly written summary/notes of class
lectures to student after class.
- Scribe: Writes for in-class assignments and, if assigned, write for exams and quizzes at the
DRC Proctored Testing Center. Scribes will write only what is dictated to them by the student.
- Reader: Reads print materials in-class and/or during exams.
- Lab Assistant: Helps gather, setup, and clean materials.
- Exam Proctor: Monitors students while they are taking their exams at the Proctored Testing
Center, schedules exam appointments and pick up/delivers exams.
- Adapted P.E. Student Assistant: Assists the instructor in working with students taking
Adapted P.E. courses.
- Assistive Technology Computer Lab Assistant: Assists students with a variety of
computer accommodations and answers questions regarding various software programs (i.e. JAWS, ZoomText, Kurzweil)
and hardware (i.e. TrackBall, Scanners, Intellikeys Keyboard).
- Alternate Media Assistant: Assist the Alternate Media Specialist with converting course
materials into accessible formats (i.e. Braille, Tactile Graphics, Electronic Text, large print).
- Clerical Assistant: Performs a variety of general office functions such as, but not limited to,
answering phones, providing program information, schedule appointments.
How can I become a volunteer for the DRC?
To become a volunteer, please fill out a volunteer application at the DRC.
We are located in the Student Service Building (STS101) across the disabled parking lot from Rodda North.
Volunteer applications are also available for download here.
Return all volunteer applications to Fong Vang at the DRC. For more information, call Fong at 916-650-2792 or email him at